10/7/08

Messenger Man : Willi Williams

This is just an outstanding 17 track album by Willi Williams. Another Blood & Fire release, this one from 2005 and the material was originally released in 1980 on the Inland label and recorded in Kingston and Toronto. This more recent Blood & Fire version includes several versions, extended versions, and a couple of previously unreleased dub tracks. My favorite tracks on this one are: #3 (Give Jah Praise), #5 (Zion Town), and #14 (Zion Town Dub). I find a very powerful message in "Zion Town" and I keep it on my all-time favorites playlist. Of course with Blood & Fire comes a great booklet and this time the notes are written by Carter Van Pelt. He's a noted North American authority on Reggae and I was very pleased to see his contribution to this album. The booklet tells the story of Willi Williams and also of the story and meanings behind the Messenger Man album. Besides Armagideon Time, this is my favorite Willi Williams album.

No comments: