6/24/09

Greensleeves 12" Rulers : Jah Thomas


This is my favorite disc of three "Greensleeves Rulers" that I have found. The other offerings are from Gussie Clarke and Junjo Lawes. This Jah Thomas showcase features 11 tracks by various artists such as: Triston Palmer, Toyan, Little John, Michael Palmer, Billy Boyo, and the DJ skills of Jah Thomas himself. My copy of this CD is from 2008, but the material was originally recorded back in 1981-1984. A great time for reggae - the transition from deep roots of the 70's, in to the hard conscious dj scene the early 80's. My favorite tracks on this one are: #3 (Joker Smoker - Triston Palmer), #4 (Loafter Smoker - Papa Bruce), and #11(Scandal - Billy Boyo). The standout track to my is #1 (Entertainment) with an extended DJ version featuring Jah Thomas and Toyan. The booklet for this disc completes this nice package. It's about 10 pages equally split between information on Jah Thomas and studio/dancehall photos. Some interview question with Jah Thomas round out the booklet nicely. Overall this is a great disc and I highly recommend adding it to your permanent reggae collection.

No comments: